Saturday, April 30, 2011

7: The day I adopted my first son...



                                                                       Marie

Interviewee: Marie   Interviewer: Anonymous.

Background info: Marie is 82 years of age, born in Alabama, one of 8 siblings. She moved to Arizona with her husband in the 1950's and has made it home since.

I explained the thousand full moons project to her, she was mildly amused that she has lived through more than a thousand moons, she accepted the fact with steady equanimity, much like she must accept life in general, I imagined.
"Will you share a happy memory of your life with me", I asked, she contemplated, and was quick to answer, “the day I adopted my first son, David, is the happiest day of my life"...

Marie could not have biological children, she explained, as I intently listened.
Marie is tall, slender, with a nicely sculpted face, large, expressive eyes. She is quite strikingly beautiful in fact, I have complemented her so before, and she accepts the complement with a dismissive yet graceful wave of her hand.

"No matter, I told myself, so what, if I am not meant to bear a child? There are so many children in this world who need parents, a steady family...a permanence of love in their life. I adopted David, oh, the joy!! I then went on to adopt three more children and each adoption has brought me such a joy....these, without a doubt, are the happiest periods in my life."

We parted.  "Permanence of love..." her phrase resonated in my mind and still does, and will continue to do so; lot to reflect on, the permanence of love......

Note: The contributor  wishes to remain anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment