Monday, April 18, 2011

2:Birth of My First Child...

Alice
Interviewee: Alice, Interviewer: Rohini, in person at the Gilbert senior center, Date: 4/18/11
Age: 82 yrs.

Birth Place: Illinois, USA
It was 3:00 O’clock in the afternoon.  I wanted to drop off the 1000 moons project flier at the Gilbert Senior center. As expected the place was deserted. TV was playing, a couple of cafeteria workers were sitting in the dining hall and chatting. There was one girl at the front desk and three people in the center coordinator’s office. I went in, introduced myself and started explaining my project to the co-coordinator.  It was received very well; the lady was helpful and seemed to like the idea. As I was leaving after thanking her, Alice who was sitting in a chair by the window asked for a flyer. Alice had a walking stick next to her, was wearing a blue dress and had a pleasant expression. I asked her how old she was and on hearing that she was 82, requested that she describe one of her pleasant memories to me.
Background information: Alice was born in a family with three sisters. She has worked all her life. Still works part time and drives herself to work. She has lived in Mesa for over 53 years.
Rohini: So Alice would you please describe one of the happy memories you have?
Alice: Yes that would be when my first daughter was born.
Rohini: Where was this?
Alice: In Illinois.
And here is the summary of our conversation:
Alice: It was during day time that my husband took me to the hospital. It was a relatively short labor…and then my daughter was born. It was a miracle. Only god can create a miracle like that.
She (her daughter) was a big baby. I was in the hospital for a week and they all used to tease me. They would say that my daughter kept all other babies awake since she was so big…
Rohini: How old is your daughter now?
Alice: sixty one! (We both laughed as we shifted gears visualizing the “baby” that we were just talking about, was now really 61!) Alice had a beautiful laugh.
She asked me about my whereabouts. I also told her that she was going to be number 2 on the blog and I had 998 to go.
She put her hand on mine and said in her soft almost feeble voice “Just leave it to the Lord and he will do it for you”
I fell silent as the conviction behind her sentence hit me….

No comments:

Post a Comment