Saturday, May 7, 2011

10: A Boy Scout volunteer and a gunner in World War II

Interviewee : Dean, Interviewer : Anonymous
Background info : Age 86 years, lives in Arizona, USA.
He seemed quite pleased with the purpose of the thousand full moons project and was very willing to share happy memories of his long life.
"There are so many...I am married, this is my second marriage-my first wife passed away after a long married life and both the marriages have been very happy.....it gives me pleasure to see my grown children have families of their own and taking care of their children and grandchildren...."
I agreed that a happy homestead and propagation of his family must give him joy, however, could he share a specific happy memory or period, related to his family or his life outside his home, perhaps?
I could sense his brain shuffling through his memory files and pick one
.
" I worked as a volunteer for 20 years with the Boy Scout program for disabled children..kids with Down's syndrome and such, that was a very satisfying period of my life. I remember one night, we awarded 7 scout eagle awards at a time, and the children were so proud of themselves, it was very nice to see."
I admired him for doing this, it was a very noble thing to do indeed.
" Can I share one more memory? I know you asked for just one, ....."
I felt honored by this, I was happy to hear his reminiscence.
" I was a gunner in World War II, and I was part of the team that bombed Hitler's premises at the end of the war. We did not get him of course, but we sure bombed his place."
What was his role in this mission, I asked.
" I was the gunner , I protected the bomber plane from enemy attacks, so they could proceed with their mission of bombing. The war ended shortly thereafter and I was very happy to come back Home. That was a happy time, the end of the war."
Indeed. I imagined Dean the young gentleman, guiding disabled boy scouts, Dean the young patriot, the brave gunner in the World War II.
I thanked him for sharing his memories, I actually was thanking him for inhabiting this planet that we all share.

No comments:

Post a Comment