Thursday, May 19, 2011

16. Guiding many people to health the Yoga way


Sadashiv (Tatya)
Interviewee: Sadashiv (Tatya), Interviewer: Rohini, Via: Phone with help from Shekhar, Date: May 12/11
I had called Shekhar, Tatya’s son-in-law, and had requested him to assist me with the phone interview with Tatya in case we had trouble hearing each other, and Shekhar graciously agreed.
Age: 88 yrs
Birth Place: Chachana, Maharashtra, India
Background information: Tatya did his schooling in Chiplun and moved to Bombay to find work. After doing a variety of jobs in construction, in a mill, in a government ration office, he settled in Indian Railways from where he retired after over 35 years of service. He expresssed thankfulness for being able to do volunteer work (for RSS) while fulfilling his responsibilities on the job. He has raised three daughters and written a book on Yoga that has been translated in to English and four different Indian languages.
After enumerating many general happy instances, Tatya narrated the following story when he was asked how and when he started serious yogic studies:
When I was in the Railways, I had gotten ill with some stomach ailments. I met a Yoga Guru who suggested that I attend and try his classes. How my Yoga Guru turned to yoga is also an interesting story.  My Guru Shri.  Dixit also used to work for the Indian Railways. He had Psoriasis and hence was shunned by his co-workers because of his skin condition. He requested a transfer from his boss and moved to a remote forest area where a railway track was being laid. He met a sanyasin (a person who has renounced the world) who cured him completely of his skin ailment by teaching him Yoga. So when Shri. Dixit asked me to attend his Yoga classes, I went to him and as expected my stomach ailments were gone. I decided to learn Yoga from him and pursued it for next 12 years. I started my own Yoga classes in Sikandarabad, and did a lot of research on Yoga methods while I was in Pune. This lead to a book on ‘Sookshma Yoga’, a technique of breathing and movement.
Tatya practices Yoga daily even today and is still guiding many people to health by the Yoga way.

No comments:

Post a Comment