Tuesday, May 17, 2011

15. Sledding down "Rose’s Hill” and building snow forts in our back yards...


Patricia
I am an 83 year old woman.  I am writing to tell about a happy time of my life.  I have had many happy times. But I guess my most memorable time would be as a child.  I grew up in a very small town of 1200 people.  It was  post-depression era, but life did not seem hard at the time.  We always had food to eat and a wonderful vegetable garden in our back yard.  We had many friends, in fact we knew everyone in town and all the adults looked after us children as if we were their very own.  The winters could be harsh, but then we had the fun of sledding down "Rose’s Hill” and building snow forts in our back yards.  Our family played cards and board games indoors in winter.  (No televisions then).  I was 13 when World War II began. I remember that as a very patriotic time.  We bought defense stamps and collected tin foil for the war effort.  Many American men volunteered to go into the service of their country, and many gave their lives to protect our way of life.  Even fathers with children served.  Such happiness when the war ended and our loved ones came home!
I do not have any outstanding stories to relate, but I do know that I was fortunate to have been raised in a small town and was taught good values.  Place of birth, Moundsville, West Virginia.  Grade school and High School there and then moved to Phoenix, AZ in 1947. Completed nurse's training at St. Joseph's Hospital in 1950.  Worked many years in OB/Gyn department. I especially loved working with mothers and newborn babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment