Monday, April 21, 2014

105. I won the Langadi match for my school.

Thousand Full Moon: Shrimati Shakuntala Purandare

Contributed By Dr. Raghunath Boradkar



Shrimati Shakuntala Purandare  who is 81 plus. Here she shares Two of   her memorable experiences with the Thousand full Moons Blog.The first experience is from her school days and second one is from her early married life.

A memorable competition of  LANGDI

I must have been 11 or 12 years old then. I was studying in Government Girls High School Nasik. There used to be inter school matches
of  KHO KHO KABADDI and LANGDI Sports native to India).  I was selected for the Langdi (a game where one team is chased by a member of other team. The chaser has to hop on one foot. If his/her lifted foot touches the ground he is out)team of our school.
Once we had a match with the District Marathi School. They had an extremely good team. My sister had come to watch the game.
The game started. The verandas of the school and the terraces were packed to full capacity. It was our turn to run. The girls came chasing us and they were very fast though on one leg. It was of no use running round. So I started running zigzag first to left and then right. Because of this the girls coming very fast lost their balance and fell and soon all were out except the last one. By now the time was more or less over and the team was out.  We had won. My teacher came and lifted me up. I was taken to a school room and I was allowed to rest. My teacher pressed my legs and I was given a cup of coffee. Later I was sent back home with my sister in a Horse carriage!
The next day every body came to see me, I was the girl who had won the match for them.

Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated on 30th January and there were riots all over Maharashtra. My husband had joined as a school teacher in Otur. A crowd of about 50 people gathered and attacked the school and caught my husband. The crowd had DHOLS and Tashas (drums)  which they were beating .They took him in a procession and smeared him with Gulal. It was as if they were carrying a goat for Sacrificing. My husband had Gulal on his face Eyes and nose. He looked red. There was Noose tied to a tree on the outskirts of the town.
One of my husband’s friend cycled to the principal’s place and told him about this happening. The Principal dialed the police and informed them and told them that if they (the police) do not act promptly and reach the spot an innocent man might get killed by the mob. Luckily the police van reached on time and he was rescued but he was arrested as he was a RSS worker. Later he was kept for some time in Yerwada Jail. This had scared me to death and I still recollect the moment vividly. My mother in law performed a Satyanarayan Puja after all of this was over.

Shrimati Shakuntala Purandare






No comments:

Post a Comment