Monday, April 21, 2014

104. I decided to participate in the Vari

Thousand Full Moon: Sou. Mitravinda Dharu

Contributed By: Dr. Raghunath Boradkar



Mrs. Mitravinda Dharu is 83 plus. She lives in Aundh Pune. Here she describes her experience of participating in the annual Pandharpur Vari a nearly seven hundred year old tradition. This is her account as she has written it and in her own words. Mrs Dharu [Maiden Name Miss Kusum Kirtane] came to Agashe Sakhar Karkhana Shripue after her marriage with Shri Dharu .

Shri Dnyandev Tukaram ! The resonating sound of ‘Tal’ was coming from Akluj.  On this day the Chandrashekhar Mahavidyalaya used to have only morning shift. In the afternoon Sant Tukaram Palakhi Varkaris were served free food by the workers. It was all very well planned. The vakaris were in groups of five and even the poorest worker would feed them and all chanted Dnyandev Tukaram!
Varkaris walked. Someone would carry his mother on his back.  Someone may carry a Tulsi plant on her head. Some wearing rags and not even having a foot wear. They were unaware of the thorns pricking and pebbles hurting .A staff in hand and a very small baggage was all that they had. This is Bhakti [Devotion] I used to tell myself. Seeing this tears would flow from my eyes as I cried.
They would positively see God. I used to tell myself. I used to see this every year and once I decided to participate in the Vari and walk with them.
Earlier when I was in Pune I used to see the Sant Dnyaneshvar and sant Tukaram Palakhi arriving in Pune for a halt and have a Darshan of the Padukas. I was deeply impressed by these events. The Sant Dnyaneshvar Palakhi starts from Alandi. Its said that the summit of the temple shakes when the varkaris start chanting and ringing the ‘Tal’. Not a miracle really it must be due to the sound waves striking the temple ‘Shikhar’.The Palakhi starts for Pune early in the morning. There is a full days halt in Pune. The next stop is about 35 Km from Pune.The Palkhi stops at Sasvad. Crowds of people gather for a Darshan.
I joined the ‘Dindi’ of Saint Deshmukh Maharaj. This ‘Dindi’ was meant only for Brahmins. I entered the Dindi at Sasvad where the Palkhis approach each other.My daughter dropped me at Sasvad . She looked worried as I was alone and had no companions. But God takes care of everything. What one needs is faith. My sister’s two friends also were going with the Vari, so I had or rather found company
And relieved the tension my daughter had. Its said that a blind man’s cows are shepherded by God. Nothing happened to me. Many were equipped with first aid kits and extra foot wear. But I didn’t carry much with me. And on road one could find people repairing all sorts of things.
While on way a girl fell down while climbing the truck in which she was travelling. She got an arm fracture. Her friends carried her back to Pune. I felt that this is how our lucks are inter twined. Her friends joined the vari later. Some girls quarreled with the organizers and had to leave. I felt Vari was something where all must learn to cooperate. I had very much wanted to hear the discourse of Sonopant Dandekarji. But I couldn’t. But I could listen the discourses given by one of his disciples.
In one of the Dindis there was a Muslim woman giving discourses on Dnyaneshvari and she had every Ovi on the tip of her tongue.
I used to go there and listen to her.
In my dindi there were mostly men. They were orthodox and would wear a ‘Sovle’ recite ‘Trisuparna’ and then take food.  The head was extremely orthodox. But I felt it would not last long.
I feel it must be clear to all by now that this was the happiest day in my life i.e going to the Vari.My grand mother in law used to walk with the vari
 After her I am the only grand daughter who has walked with the vari and I am very proud of it.
God had put to the hardest test. Before the Vari My husband had a fractured leg. My children were against my going. But my husband said let her go and he would manage by himself and didn’t need any help.  I thought over and then decided to go. It was a hard decision.
And this is how I completed the Vari. Whenever I remember it I feel enthralled. Dnyandev- Tukaram.

Sou. Mitravinda Shrikrishna Dharu

.











No comments:

Post a Comment