Monday, April 7, 2014

102. An element of pride in my grandchildren's faces for their grandmother's achievements...

Thousand Full Moon: Prabha Pethe
Contributed By: Makarand Pethe



Today in the 81st year of my life, I find it very interesting and quite easy to remember the Happy happenings / moments from the past. Although it is very difficult to put them in words yet I have attempted and have tried to be as concise as possible.

MOHOPADA located near Panvel was the name of village I was born in. It will be interesting for many to know that in those days Leopards were commonly seen in & around that area. I remember one evening having mistaken the big cat sitting in our backyard as our own dog. Educated to the extent what was easily available & possible then, I got married in a family from Vile Parle in Mumbai. My husband worked for Reserve Bank of India & this was my first exposure to the real BIG world outside. 1954 to 1974 were the golden years spent in “RBI staff Quarters” at Bombay Central. Time spent in this high profile & culturally upscale environment has many truly memorable & worth cherishing when I look back today. I have captured below just some of them.

The RBI colony used to celebrate many events / utsav throughout the year as personality development opportunities for the children & women. The colony Club House had Carrom boards, Table Tennis tables, Badminton court & Bridge tables; we had a large playground for the outdoor games like Kho-Kho, Kabaddi etc. (Cricket & Football got added only towards the early 70’s). Annual Sports were held in all these sports and that prompted me to learn Carrom, TT & Badminton. I was also active in the Mahila Mandal activities & got opportunity to perform in the small Drama’s during colony Ganesh Utsav. These were the opportunities which boosted my confidence level & helped me improve my own capabilities to the extent I started winning in some games like Carrom & TT.

CHIT FUNDS were a trend those days & I was awarded first prize for my contribution in the business development in the fund I worked for. The prize distribution was to be held at the hands of popular cinema personalities “Nirupa Roy & Randhir Kapoor”. It was a very big event then and I had sent invitations to many friends who were also very eager to see such personalities in person. I consulted my close friends & relatives what to wear for the event, I did not want to be appearing in front of those actors as a very common Indian housewife. Common middle class people hardly get opportunity to be face to face with the actors & during the actual ceremony, I was so overwhelmed that I was almost in tears while receiving the prizes. I still have those photographs & today, when I show the photographs to my grandchildren, those personalities are grandparents of current stars and there is surely an element of pride on their faces for their grandmother’s achievement. The confidence gained then has helped me over come difficult situations in life at a later stage.

Prabha P Pethe
Pune


No comments:

Post a Comment