Thursday, July 13, 2017

135. I accept whatever comes, as His grace.



Thousand Full Moon: PSA Easwaran (81+)

Easwaranji writes about his childhood, travel to Calcutta in search of a job at the age of 19, and walking to the temple barefoot every morning.

____________________________________________________________________________
After passing School Final exam in 1952, I studied shorthand-typing, as the financial position of the family was very bad for me to have college education. As a rural boy, I had very little contact with other boys - no real friends, so to say. I was not mature enough to mingle with boys of same age. I used to go to the house of a purohit (priest) who had two sons working in Bombay, another one in Delhi. Two sons were studying in school. I used to read Periapuranam (Shiva puranam in tamil) for the purohit's wife. In May 1954, one of the sons from Bombay had come on leave and was supposed to return in the first week of June. My father had requested the purohit to ask his son to take me also with him to Bombay to look for a job. On the appointed day when my father took me to the purohit's house, we were told that his son had already left for Bombay the previous day. We returned home disappointed. Then, we came to know that another person who had come on leave from Calcutta was returning the next day. Father approached him and he agreed to take me to Calcutta on assuring that I will be staying in Calcutta with a cousin brother of my mother. In those days, there was no seat reservation. The person with whom I was going had several friends who were also going the same day. So, by the time our train reached Palakkad, there were about 10 people in the group from various places. Among them was a very old lady, who mingled with all freely. She was the mother of a gentleman living in Calcutta, and was going to stay with him. She asked me about my details and when I told her about my village and parents, she burst out saying that my grandmother (father’s mother) and she were close friends from early childhood and knew well about our family. She assured me that I need not go anywhere to stay in Calcutta and she will arrange with a person belonging to the same village as hers and is related to my father, living in bachelor quarters. She took me to her son’s house, and after meals and resting, sent for the person, who came and took me wih him to his quarters. There were 3 or 4 others staying in one room – all of them were working as apprentices in Telephone Dept.   
After coming over to Calcutta, during the first few years as a bachelor, I had been attending the weekly lectures of Swami Ranganathananda of Ramakrishna Mission. During that period, I had even thought of becoming a sanyasi and read several books from RK Mission Institute, especially those of the Master and his Disciple, Vivekananda. However, after retirement of my father, I had the responsibility of sending some money home as my brothers and sisters were studying. I had to take up extra part time jobs, and thereafter, I had to discontinue my spiritual search. At that time, I was working with Indian Airlines which was in its beginning after nationalization. The salary was poor, but those times, things were very cheap. Rs.10/- pm for bachelor quarter accommodation, Rs.30/- pm (cheaper ones) for 2 meals a day. As I was working in the Airport, we had free transport to-and-fro – At times, I used to come with the crew members while returning. There is a cheap canteen at the Airport. We also used to ‘raid’ the aircraft after arrival from a flight to share the left-overs of sweets, cashew nuts, etc. In one way, that short period till the retirement of my father was the golden one, with care-free life.  As I knew the condition in which I grew up in the family, I never spent even a single paisa unnecessarily. Of course, I used to see pictures, especially English ones during Sundays when there were special rates for the morning shows – 75 paise as against Rs.1.25 for the matinee/night shows. This had helped me in getting accustomed with understanding English speech by foreigners. After working more than a year in Indian Airlines, I got a job as a steno in a British company where the boss was an Englishman. I had very little trouble in understanding his speech.  He later told me that several boys had come for interview, but after taking the dictation, they had left even without typing. Although now, financially with the help of my children, the standard of living has gone up, I personally try to maintain my old habit of pruning expenses and living simply.
I was staying in my original native village Puthucode upto my 9th or 10th age, studied there upto 3rd Form (Class 7). There is no river near about the village. There is one stream which ends at our village. I used to go for swimming every evening soon after returning from school. Before I studied swimming, one day, I walked beyond the safety area and was about to be drowned. Had gulped water several times.  Since there were plenty of boys there, one of them noticed my struggle and saved me. That was really an experience!  
A few years back, I used to go to the lakes nearby for walking.  I used to go round the lakes walking briskly. One Sunday, it just occurred to me – since I have been walking round the lakes daily, why not go to the Guruvayoorappan Temple every Sunday? That day I went to the temple, and continued going every Sunday. After some months, I made it 2 days a week, and later on every birthday in September, I increased the day, and ultimately made it full. I do not remember how many years ago I started visiting the temple daily.  There was no motivation for me to visit the Temple. Since I was doing morning walk around the lakes, I just changed the route, that is all. However, this has strengthened my will power and my faith in Him.  In fact, I have some problem with my lower hip portion up to the middle of back, which I feel a bit heavy with pain while moving. I feel this heaviness especially when I make an effort to run to catch a bus. But this morning walk is quite different.  I just walk briskly even though not as quickly as before, as if some power is drawing me towards the temple. Till the time of reaching the temple, I don’t feel any tiredness. However, on my return walk, I started feeling a little tired after walking half the distance, but despite this, I continue walking till reaching home.  I only pray to G for Him to allow me to continue this further without a break. I have no complaints and accept whatever comes only as HIS GRACE.  This can be cherished in memory!




No comments:

Post a Comment