Friday, November 27, 2015

128. What if they had perceived me as ominous?

Thousand Full Moon: Meera Sham Dasharath
Contributed By: Dr. Raghunath Boradkar
My wedding date was a month away and every one including the elderly ladies in the house started advising me on the do’s and the don’ts for a married woman. They started giving me reasons behind rituals, explaining good and bad omens and the general code of conduct. Finally the day arrived.
As I was entering the marriage hall I remembered to put my right foot forward as that was what I was asked to do. The next day my sister-in-law brought a three strand Bindi (a head ornament) for me to wear. As I was fastening it the string broke and all the beads scattered all over the place… After the marriage ceremony as is customary my husband and I carried a big serving plate of Jalebis to serve in the pangat (rows of people enjoying the feast). Due to the pressure of the big dish a few of my green glass bangles broke… At the reception a boy came running and announced that there was a fire in one of the corners of the pendol and every one rushed there… After the wedding ceremony it was customary for the groom’s family to take the new bride and the groom to the groom’s house. But since my in-laws had some inconveniences my husband and I stayed back and joined them after two days…
Four so called bad omens had occurred in a row. But my entire married life went on smoothly. My children are also happily married and well settled in their respective families.
I wonder some times what would have happened had my in-laws perceived me as ominous? 


No comments:

Post a Comment