Monday, November 9, 2015

125. I Cleared A.M. I. E. Section B exam




Thousand Moon: Mr. Vasant Dake 81+
Contributed By: Dr. Raghunath Boradkar
When I reached the Thousand Full Moons (सहस्रचंद्र दर्शन) landmark I tried to look back and I was not sure whether I would find a chaos of scattered memories or a beautiful collage. A lot of people advised me to focus on the sparkling string of many a wonderful happy moments...One of the most joyous occasions from those happy moments is what I want to document here. Just the thought of that moment makes me happy...even today.
I had just entered the ‘house-holder’ phase of my life in Panveli, that was about 50 years ago. I had settled well in my job had a good friend circle and life was comfortable. One day as I was returning home on my lunch break the mail man stopped me on the street and handed me a letter. It was a letter from my Pune based friend Shri. Prabhakar Atre. He had written to me to inform me that I had passed the Associate Member Institute of Engineers, A.M. I. E. Section B exam. I had totally forgotten having taken the exam but learning that I had passed it I was absolutely ecstatic!
Soon after finishing my bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from Pune University in 1955 – 56 I had to take up a job due to family responsibilities. Since I was keen on pursuing a professional certification I managed to get a stewardship at Institute of Engineers India, I.E.I, Calcutta and began a self-study program. There were no coaching classes or guidance available at any educational institutes to prepare for this exam. Books were the only teachers and guides. The exam would be conducted every six months. With about 10% passing rate for Section A and section B about 3-4 attempts would be needed to clear both the steps and it would easily become a five year plan for most people.
Given the tough circumstances it was a wonderful experience to receive the news that I had cleared Section B! It became one of the most joyous events of my life!!




No comments:

Post a Comment