Sunday, August 18, 2013

77. Seniors’ associations are a need of the day



Thousand Moon: Shri. Anant V Nashikkar
Contributed by: Dr. Raghunath Boradkar
 
Shri. Anant V Nashikkar is 84 years old. He belongs to Gondia a far eastern part of Maharashtra and erstwhile Central Provinces and Berar [Madhyaprant and Warhad].
He regularly takes morning walks practices Yoga and Pranayam to keep himself healthy and fit.
He worked in the Sales Tax department beginning his career as a sales tax inspector. He appeared for the various departmental examinations and was promoted first as class two and then as class one officer. He was transferred to different places every three years as a sales tax officer he came in contact with tax payers in different cities and had to participate in the raids conducted by the department. He therefore had to be alert all the time.
In June 1988 at 58 he retired as an assistant sales tax commissioner and settled in Pune where his son had a job. He is happy that he settled in Pune. After retirement he and his wife have traveled nearly all over India.
In 2009 he was bereaved. His wife Sou. Nalini passed away and he had a difficult time .As theirs was a joint family and he had a large friend circle he could over come the grief. He also started going to a Satsang and that too helped him .Various thoughts expressed by the saints are valuable, he feels. He also attended a six months course conducted by the Homeopathic Association and the knowledge he gained helps him and his family. He firmly believes that he has learnt a lot about life from the senior citizens organizations. This is what he says in his own words.
 We joined Kothrud senior citizens association [cosca] as I knew accounting I accepted the responsibility of Treasurer-ship of the association. I attend every function arranged by the association. In 2013 the association celebrated its Silver Jubilee. I have worked in various capacities and have participated in all projects undertaken by the association like computer literacy, consumer protection, adult education, various surveys and Visava Kendra.
I have also worked as a secretary of all senior citizens organization of Pune [ASCOP]
In 1999 the organization held an International conference for seniors and I had enthusiastically participated in organizing it. In 2008 I was given a certificate of honor by COSCA. I consider this as a recognition of my social work. I was also awarded a cash prize by the government for efficiently handling a tax evasion case. I consider this a moment of great satisfaction.
Because of increase in longevity, I feel seniors’ associations are a need of the day. Pune has 150 such associations. They provide you with a platform to voice your views express your hidden talents in various art forms and of course help you in gaining friends. The associations entertain and also look after your physical and mental health.
I stay in Woodlads near Gandhi Bhavan, Kothrud. In 2004 I started a senior citizens club there and I am happy it is still functioning. The seniors gather together in the evening and spend their time chatting and sharing each others Joys and sorrows. This is our Sayam Katta.
Lastly I would like to narrate a humorous episode. Once I received a phone call from someone telling me that so and so has passed away. He gave me a surname that is very common in Maharashtrians and I knew many persons with that name. I thought that a person very well known to me by that name must have passed away. So without thinking much or inquiring further I started for that person’s house. I even thought of purchasing a garland but could not get it. When I reached the house everything was quiet there so I went to the flat. The door was open and the person known to me was sitting there. He called me in offered me tea. I was flabbergasted and at my wits end. I sat for a while and finding an excuse left hurriedly
.As I had forgotten my mobile at home I could not call and inquire. On my way back I met the friend who had called. He gave me the name and address. But I did not know that person well enough. Still I went to the given address and paid my respects.
 Back home I told this to all. They laughed to their heats content. They made fun of me and I had to keep quiet. I still do not understand how it happened but it did.  Lucky I did not get a garden or else I would have been a laughing stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment