Thursday, August 1, 2013

74. His magnanimity and benevolence touched my heart...




Thousand Moon: Vasudeo Krishnaji Godbole (83)

Contributed by: Rohini

Vasudeo Godbole is a doctor by profession and an avid reader. He likes to write his experiences and has written several travel logs thus far. I visited him a few days ago at his residence in Surat where he lives a retired life with my aunt. Since he likes to write, he penned down two of his cherished memories for the blog on my request. Rather than just collecting the write up from him I asked him to read it to me. The earnestness that I hear in the voice of the octogenarians as they narrate their life experiences is like the nectar that flows from a ripe fruit.
Here is what he wrote...
Two incidents in my life:
1942 Quit India movement

My father was elected as the municipal Councillor. He was an independent candidate. “Quit India Movement” was put before the Municipal Council meeting for voting. My father voted in favor of the resolution though he was an independent candidate and not a congress member. All those who voted for the resolution were arrested including my father. A crowd of the sympathizers gathered in front of our house and started shouting slogans against the British Government. The DSP probably drunk, ordered ‘lathi (baton) charge’ on the crowd. Some were injured. My father called one of his friends, a government pleader for help. He protested and helped in the ‘panchanama’
(an inquiry). My father was arrested. We family members were witnessing the scene.  At the age of 11 -12, I was appreciating my father’s love for the country and the Government Pleader’s courage for protesting against the police authority.

1948 Mahatma Gandhi Assassinated and RSS banned

I was a ‘Swayam Sevak of RSS (a volunteer of Rashtriya Swayam Sevak Sangh). Our leaders decide to offer a Satyagraha (literal translation: coaxing for the prevalence of truth, prevalent translation non-cooperation movement) against the ban. Satyagraha was in the form of attending ‘shakhas’ (gatherings) and courting arrest.
I was staying with my uncle for the studies. My uncle was a staunch congressman. He would not permit me to join ‘Satyagraha’. So I and my RSS friends decided to run away from home.So we first took my essential clothes and bedding secretly and one by one shifted them to my friend’s house nearby.  Next morning I left my uncle’s house under the pretext of attending the Physical Training class. I went instead to attend the ‘Shakha’ and the police arrested us as the ‘Shakha’ was already banned. I was in jail for three months. When I was released I came back to uncle’s house with apprehension. I met my uncle at home expecting rebuke. Astonishingly my uncle only said, “Alright, now start your studies in earnest”. I really felt emotional by this remark. His magnanimity and benevolence touched my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment