Tuesday, August 28, 2012

55. Why should we live in other people’s country?








Thousand Moon: Lily (Ghanekar) Damle (86)
Contributed by: Rohini Abhyankar
I met Lily Damle at her residence in Pune. She looked bright and cheerful. It was obvious that she must have been a very good looking woman in her younger years. Lily Damle and my father’s eldest sister were good friends. My aunt is no more and since Lily was a close friend of my aunt’s there was all the more reason why I wanted to go spend some time with her.
Lily received me with great affection, asked me about my father and grandfather and my aunts. My grandfather was her teacher in grade school. She told me how my aunts and she would play together. She remembered attending ‘Samiti’ shakha under the chiku tree in Ratnagiri where she grew up. She told me that she got married in 1945 and lived in several different cities as her husband would get transferred periodically through his job with Central Excise. Of all the places she lived at she said she had liked the city of Sangali the most. Of the three sons she had the youngest one was the naughtiest of all, the memory made her chuckle. She told me that her father in law had a big house with many rooms but now she lives in this flat in Pune as it is more convenient. Then she asked me whether I was planning to settle abroad. Before I could answer she told me to return to India. “Why should we live in other people’s country? She asked making me speechless…
It was a pleasure spending the precious half hour with Lily. I had the feeling of having spent some time with my late aunt. As I was taking her leave she invited me and my entire family to the ‘maunda ceremony’ (a ceremony performed when a person becomes a great grandparent) and said, “Tell Mali (my other aunt who is now 85) that Lily is still the same”.

No comments:

Post a Comment