Thursday, August 16, 2012

52. An early “Thousand Moons" Celebration

Thousand Moon: Sulabha Nadkarni


My name is Sulabha Nadkarni.  I was born in Goa and brought up in Mumbai.  At the overripe age of 47, I came to California to join my parents and my husband and kids followed the next year.  Ever since, we are in San Francisco.

I worked in US till I was 73 and after retirement, I have kept myself busy with social work and social life.  I am also an artist at heart.  So I have always kept myself busy in oil painting, Nirmal painting  (a specialty from Hyderabad) and other such things.  Recent passion is making quilts and knitting.

Last seven years, we have been making annual visits to India, meeting our family (more my in-laws) and friends and sometimes visiting new places.  This year, we went to India in January with return tickets for March 15.  Near the end of February, my younger brother-in-law called to tell us that our nephew (who lives near Amsturdam) is visiting Mumbai and we will have a get-together on March 9.  I was thrilled at the idea of meeting everybody at one place before leaving.  My younger sister-in-law asked me if I would sing at the gathering.  I declined to do so as my voice is not good enough anymore.  She also insisted that I wear a saree and NOT a salwaar/khameez etc.  Because, she said they had decided to take a picture of our generation.  My older brother-in-law was coming from Bangalore for the occasion.  I did not smell a rat!

My son took us to Bandra Otter Club, where the party was scheduled to be.  I was happy to see the family, all in-laws, their kids and grandkids.  We were having a good time.  All of a sudden, I was whisked away to another table where my older brother-law and my husband were already seated.  In a few minutes, before my mind could grasp what was happening, out came my beautiful sisters-in-law along with my younger brother-in-law carrying a big tray lit up with lots of tiny candles.  They came to my table and all started singing "Happy Thousand Moons" and then.....my mind LIT up!!!  I saw the candles set up to spell '1000'.  They had already planned to celebrate my 80th birthday (which actually fell on 6th July 2012)  I was offered a bouquet of flowers and a pedha.  Then my sister-in-law applied haldi-kumkum on my forehead.  What a Sweet Surprise that was !  I had never expected this to happen as it was just March.  But the whole Nadkarni Clan was in one room joyously celebrating my 80th birthday.  What better celebration could there be!

I was overwhelmed with happiness and the memory of the event will linger in my mind forever and ever.           

1 comment:

  1. So nice to read ! It was indeed a Day !Wish you happy and healthy life, Sulabhatai !

    ReplyDelete