Saturday, July 1, 2023

155. A buyer with an eye for value has discovered spiritual unity in the diversity of the universe.


 

A buyer with an eye for value has discovered spiritual unity in the diversity of the universe.

 

Thousand Full moon: Shri. Narendran Madathil (83)

Contributed by: Shri. Mohan Chettoor

 

Mr. Narendran Madathil, an octogenarian friend of mine has celebrated his 83rd birthday, 27th June, 2023. On this auspicious day, I thought it fit to interview him to elicit more information regarding his life. This is my unique way of honoring my elderly, venerable and scholarly friend.

Contact information:


  


Here's the interview:

Mohan:

Sir- could you briefly throw some light on your childhood and teenage years?

Narendran sir:

I was born in June 1940 in my maternal ancestral home in  Vadakkanthara from where we moved to my father's house in the vicinity of Kallekulangara Emoor Bhagavati Temple, at Palakkad, Kerala (we are still in the deshakkarkoottam of Vadakkanthara).  I spent my early childhood in Bombay (now Mumbai) where my father was employed in a high position with US film distribution companies.  Studied first standard in South Indian School at Shivaji Park.  Returned to Palakkad as my father often fell ill. Further studies at a local primary school and Pandit Motilal Municipal High School, Palakkad where I completed secondary education.  Could not go for higher education due to financial constraints.  Went to Bombay seeking employment.

Mohan:

Sir -what about your earlier jobs? Please explain the positions you held in various companies.

Narendran sir -

After hard times for a year and a half, joined Ralph M Parsons, an American construction company as a typist-clerk in their purchase department.  After Ralph M Parsons, I worked with Brown & Root, another American construction company in which I joined as Typist Clerk and left as Buyer-Expeditor. On completion of their project, moved to Lummus, another American construction company in which I joined only in Clerical capacity but could become Assistant Buyer and worked there for seven years. On the company winding up business in India, tried marketing of Ayurvedic hair tonic which did not succeed.  Then returned to employment, joining Chemico, another US company as Expeditor-inspector.  I worked as their resident representative in Calcutta.  On completion of the Project, joined Engineers India Ltd., a public sector Engineering Consultancy firm as Assistant Buyer.  After a brief stint there, joined Humphreys & Glasgow, a British firm as Buyer. On completion of Project, returned to Engineers India Ltd as Buyer. Then took up an overseas employment as Buyer with National Petroleum Construction Company, Abu Dhabi. Then on to Abu Dhabi National Oil Company in the same capacity.   Retired in 2002.  Then worked for Takreer Abu Dhabi as Buyer on a contract assignment till 2007. 

Mohan:

Sir-What are all your post-retirement activities?

Narendran sir -         

Now I am on spiritual path as a student of Hindu scriptures. I was a trustee with Sivananda Religious and Charitable Trust and Sivananda Educational and Charitable Trust connected with Sivananda Ashramam, Palakkad, founded by H.H. Swami Jnanananda Saraswathi, ever since my retirement almost a decade back. I was brought up in a relatively pious background and introduced to Adhyatma Ramayanam & Srimad Bhagavatam in Malayalam by my grand-uncle and Bhagavat Gita by Swami Chinmayananda who happened to visit Palakkad in the fifties. An ardent Bhakti Margi, I spend hours chanting, reading and reciting Srimad Bhagavatam and other scriptures. I also participate as Pouranika in various Saptaham like activities. I am a strong believer and find “Unity in Diversity” in this universe. I have acquired a fairly good knowledge about the Bible, Holy Quran, and scriptures of other religions and am convinced with “Revelation of the SINGLE AND UNIQUE TRUTH”, in all universal scriptures.

Incidentally, when my younger brother Mr. Jyothindran Madathil, the founder and owner of MONIST, USA, sought my help to work as Chief Editor of SIGHT (Spiritual Information Guide and Help Tool) under MONIST, I accepted the offer. According to him, SIGHT is a guide and a tool to access conveniently information on spiritual matters. Despite my health a little bit fading due to old age, I am willing to impart spiritual Information to anyone and render help to any spiritual/devotional projects.

Sivananda Ashramam, Palakkad had published a collection of devotional poems written by me in Malayalam:

Recently, Sivananda Ashramam, Palakkad has published a Namavali (Garlands of divine names) of Lord Sri Krishna based on Srimad Bhagavadgita (Gita for short). This namavali, compiled by me is different from similar works as it includes almost all possible namas (divine names) that can be derived from Gita which contains the essence of all Vedas and other sacred texts of Sanatana Dharma. Each divine name is converted to Chathurthi Vibhakthi (dative case) followed by the word “namah” signifying obeisance to the Lord. The namas include appellations, forms, actions, attires, ornamentations, weaponry and other attributes of the Lord as described in the scripture as well as those of Vedantic significance. The relevant adhyaya (chapter) and shloka (verse) numbers forming basis for the namas are also identified. It is hoped that by chanting these divines names the devotees will have the same experience of having read the Gita in full. I am presently working on compilation of similar namavalis based on scriptures such as Srimad Bhagavatam, Srimannarayaniyam, Adhyatma Ramayanam, Sivamahapuranam, Devi Bhagavatam, and Devi Mahatmyam.

A note from Thousand full moons:

We thank Shri. Mohan Chettoor for contributing an insightful interview that shed light on the life trajectory with humble beginnings leading up to significant and fulfilling achievements for Sahasrachandradarshi Shri. Narendran Madathil. We wish Shri. Madathil a healthy and peaceful years ahead!



No comments:

Post a Comment