Friday, March 22, 2013

68. 40s and the 50s were the best era


Thousand Full Moon: Mr. John Pedicure (Not his real name) 87 years
Contributor: Rohini
I was at my local salon a few days ago and could not help but over hear an elderly gentleman talking to his pedicurist about how he had been married for 67 years… As soon as I was done I rushed out and introduced myself to the elderly couple. Mr. and Mrs. John were sitting side by side and getting a pedicure! How romantic is that!! They looked relaxed and comfortable. Mr. John was more sociable than Mrs. John who seemed more of an intent listener.
I explained about the ‘Thousand Full Moons’ blog to Mr. John and asked him whether he wanted to share a pleasant memory from his life that I could share on my blog.
Mr. John told me that he was 87 years old and had been married 67 years. Has a daughter who is 65 and four sons. He remembered the war. He said the 40s and 50s were the best decades of his life. He loved the then romantic movies of that era till today to the movies these days that are full of violence and sex.
At this point the pedicurist said. “She is going to make you famous; you are going to be in the news paper”
Mr. John suddenly became alarmed. I don’t want to be in the news paper he said. I assured him that would not be the case. I even assured him that I will not use his real name which he had not given me thus far any ways. But that did not help. I was not able to alleviate his fears. I did not want to make him uncomfortable so I stopped. He gave me permission to write about what little he had shared with me.
“I don’t have a blog you see,” said Mr. John, “so I won’t be able to read yours any ways”
I congratulated Mr. and Mrs. John on their upcoming anniversary and took leave as I contemplated on ways to assure my thousand moons about my harmless intent…

No comments:

Post a Comment