Monday, June 4, 2012

47. My grandsons add meaning to my life


Contributed by: Dr. R. Boradkar
Shrimati Gangubai Motiram sheth is 87 years old. She belongs to Gujrati Vaishnav Dashanema community also known as Pushtimargi Vaishnavas. People belonging to this community are supposed to have come to Maharashtra with Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. About 500 years back after the raid on Surat.

She is a through and through Punekar born and brought up in Pune and was educated up to third or fourth standard in Pune Mahnagar Palika school no 1.

 She lives in a Wada in Shukrawar Peth . This Wada was purchased by them 60  years back and says that Pune was a sort of village then..There was no Bajirao road, couldn’t visit Bhikardas Maruti after five in the evening and Parvati was too far. and .going to Vthoba of Vitthalvadi was scaring.

 As was customary then she was married to Shri Motiram Bhaichand Sheth at a tender age of  thirteen. She has a large family of four sons two  Daughters  fifteen grandsons and ten grand grandsons.

Her husband was a grocer and was very social and liked socializing .

 Lets see now how she spends her time and what she likes and enjoys .

This is what she has to say and these are her words.

I like reading religious texts[ Pothis][  and I go to a Bhajani Mandal. In the month of Ashwin I go for a Kakadarati in Gopalkrishna Mandir in Bhau Maharaj Bol.

I enjoy preparing food and feeding people. So I try new recipes and serve them to guests and it gives me a great pleasure. We do prepare gujrati food and wear Gujrati apparel. But we speak Marathi.

I am a devotee of Gondvalekar Maharaj   and follow his teachings

My happiest moments are when I am with my grandgrandsons.

They add meaning to my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment