Saturday, February 18, 2012

37. I felt proud that I was a citizen of a free nation






Shrimati Lila Laxman Deo (81+)

Contributed by Dr. R. Boradkar (81+)

It was a day but a day that comes only once .It was a moment but a moment that comes only once. On this day and at this moment of midnight India was to be free from a nearly two hundred years of British subjugation.

Every soul in India that day was waiting for the moment that would change history   and be a witness to that great event.

Exactly at the stroke of midnight, for a moment the time stood still, and then those unforgettable words of the First Prime Minister of free India Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru filled the atmosphere giving every Indian the Joy and Pride of being a free citizen.

Those words were “Long years ago we made tryst with destiny and now the time comes when we shall redeem our pledge not wholly or in full measure but  very substantially .At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps , India will awake to life and freedom.”

Shrimati Lila Laxman Deo is proud to be a witness to this memorable event.

Shrimati Lila Laxman Deo stays Kothrud, Pune, India

She spends her time reading books on various topics, Is an Active member of Senior Citizens club. Acts as a councilor for her family. She loves her morning walk and exercise.

Here is her account tin her own words.

I was just sixteen when India achieved independence .From my childhood I used to hear that we were ruled by the British and that we were just slaves. In my family the family members were fond of reading newspapers and we used to have different newspapers in our house. The elders used to read the papers and then discuss the political issues amongst themselves. I listened to what was discussed. The stories of patriots who suffered and sacrificed their lives and willingly went to the gallows moved me to tears.

On 15 th August 1947 India became free and at long last we had our freedom .The very thought that we are now free people and a free nation filled my heart with immense joy.

And then there was the morning of our Very First independence day. There was music being played everywhere. The melodious tunes from the Sanai (is an Indian wind instrument) filled the air. My heart was full to the brim with joy indescribable. My country was free and we had driven out the British from our soil.

Quickly I finished my morning chores, put on a new dress and went to school literarily dancing. There was to be a procession and everybody was busy with the preparation. All my classmates were happy. Sweets were distributed and then the procession started.

Slogans like Bharatmata ki Jai (Victory to Mother India), Jay Hind (Victory to India) and swantantryacha  vijay aso  (Victory to freedom) filled the air and the different voices blended together and there was enthusiasm unseen before.

But somewhere in my mind I felt sorry for those who willingly sacrificed their lives and were unable to see this day. The joy I felt was tinged with a shade of sorrow.

While participating in the procession I felt that everything seemed different. The Tri-color was proudly unfurled on every Government Building. I felt proud that I was a citizen of a free nation. I really couldn’t believe that I was actually witnessing and experiencing this great moment.

Now I have completed eighty one years of my life .and I am happy and proud of being a Citizen of a free nation. I do not feel there could have been a greater moment of happiness than this for me.

I tell my children with great pride that I have seen the First Independence day. It’s a golden day for me and I will never forget it in my life .It was a day of utmost happiness and will remain so for me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment